- 3 sweet onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne, optional
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- Spread onion rings out in a 9×13-inch baking dish, keeping rings and layers intact, then drizzle with olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Place baking dish in oven and roast for 15 minutes, or until softened.
- Remove onions from oven and raise temperature to 450º F.
- Combine heavy cream, wine, butter, garlic powder and cayenne in a medium saucepan over medium heat and cook until butter is melted and bubbles form on the outside edge of cream.
- Remove mixture from heat, then pour over pre-roasted onions, sprinkling parmesan cheese over all the onions.
- Top baking dish with aluminum foil and bake for another 20 minutes. Remove foil and cook for another 5-10 minutes, or until onions are caramelized and cheese is golden brown.
- Remove dish from oven and serve hot. Enjoy!