4 large slices country bread
6 large tablespoons crushed tomatoes (or tomato pizza sauce)
3/4 cup (200ml) milk
A pinch of salt
Fresh cracked pepper, to taste
1 ball mozzarella
1 small red onion, sliced
Fresh basil leaves, chopped
1. Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C). Whip the eggs and milk together in a bowl, add the salt and pepper.
2. Arrange bread slices in a shallow dish and pour the egg mixture on top, press and flip, making sure both sides are well coated. Let soak for 5 minutes. Then transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake in the oven for 7 minutes.
3. Remove the baking sheet from the oven. Carefully turn the bread slices upside down. Spread the tomato sauce and sprinkle with oregano. Add red onion rings, and top with mozzarella. You can sprinkle a bit of salt and pepper if you want.
4. Put back into the oven in broiler mode, still at 425°F (220°C) and bake for 7-10 minutes, until the mozzarella is bubbling and slightly golden.
5. Allow to cool for a couple of minutes and serve the pizza french toast sprinkled with fresh basil. Enjoy your breakfast!
This recipe is very versatile, you can use any type of bread your family loves. Sourdough, white, or even a sliced baguette will work wonderfully.
You can also make this recipe on the stovetop: Just add a dollop of butter to a skillet and cook soaked bread slices over medium heat, just like your regular french toasts. After 5-7 minutes, flip the bread over and add the pizza garnish. Cook for another 5-7 minutes, covered, until cheese has melted.