1 1/2 c hot water
1 c raisins
shortening, for greasing pans
1/2 c real butter or vegetable shortening
1 1/3 c light brown sugar, packed
2 c all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 c tart apple, unpared, finely chopped
1 c chopped pecans or walnuts
1/4 c apple juice or milk
1 1/2 c powdered sugar, sifted
1 Tbsp real butter softened
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp salt (omit, if butter is salted)
2 1/2 Tbsp light cream or milk
colored sugar crystals or decorations, if desired for holidays
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease cookie sheets.
2. Soak raisins in hot water, until ready to use; then drain.
3. Cream butter (or shortening) and sugar, with an electric mixer, until sugar is dissolved.
4. Add egg, and mix well.
5. Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
6. Add to creamed mixture, a half of a cup, at a time, while stirring with a wooden spoon.
7. Drain raisins. Then, fold in apples, nuts, and raisins. Add apple juice (or milk), and mix well.